1. What are your long-range and short-range goals and objectives; when and why did you establish these goals; and how are you preparing yourself to achieve them?
2. What specific goals, other than those related to your occupation, have you established for yourself in the next 5-10 years?
3. What do you see yourself doing five years from now?
4. What do you really want to do in life?
5. What are your long-range career objectives?
6. How do you plan to achieve your career goals?
7. What are the most important rewards you expect in your career?
8. What do you expect to be earning in five years?
9. Why did you choose the career for which you are preparing?
10. What do you consider to be your greatest strengths and weaknesses?
11. How would you describe yourself?
12. Tell me about yourself.
13. How do you think a friend or professor who knows you well would describe you?
14. What motivates you to put forth your greatest effort?
15. How has your college experience prepared you for your career?
16. Why should I hire you?
17. What qualifications do you have that make you think that you will be successful in your career?
18. How do you determine or evaluate success?
19. What do you think it takes to be successful in a department or unit such as ours?
20. In what ways do you think you can make a contribution to our department or unit?
21. What qualities should a successful manager possess?
22. Describe the relationship that exists between a supervisor and those reporting to him or her?
23. What two or three accomplishments have given you the most satisfaction? Why?
24. Describe your most rewarding college experiences.
25. If you were hiring a graduate for this position, what qualities would you look for?
26. Why did you select the UW-Madison to attend.
27. What led you to choose your field or major study?
28. What college subjects did you like best? Why?
29. What college subjects did you like least? Why?
30. If you could do so, how would you plan your academic study differently? Why?
31. What changes would you make in your college or university? Why?
32. What is the difference between teaching and coaching?
33. What is the biggest mistake you ever made? What did you learn?
34. What two or three things are most important to you in a job?
35. What is your criteria for evaluating the place you want to work for?
36. Are you seeking employment in a department or unit of a certain size? Why?
37. What do you know about our department or unit?
38. Do you know anyone that already works here?
Compiled by Bruce Hellmich, Assistant Dean, School of Human Ecology, UW-Madison, 2002