Principles of Supervision and Management
HIE Certificate Program
Attend a Roadshow to Learn More
Click here for dates
Great managers create the right environment for employee engagement (Gallup)
Employees who are supervised by highly engaged managers are 59% more likely to be engaged (Gallup)
50% of US adults have left their job to get away from their manager (Gallup)
What is Principles of Supervision and Management (PSM)
PSM is a certificate program for managers and supervisors to learn and practice skills to create and maintain a healthy, inclusive, and engaging work environment for employees. Manager and supervisor effectiveness in creating an environment which supports employees’ success is crucial to support UW-Madison’s mission “to create, integrate, transfer, and apply knowledge through innovative programs of research, teaching, and public service.”
Join us, if you can answer “yes” to any of the questions below
• Enhance skills to be more effective in your role
• Do you oversee the work of others?
• Do you hire new employees?
• Do you conduct performance conversations?
• Are you responsible for onboarding?
• Are you making decision about the time and work of others?
• Are you responsible for encouraging the professional development of others?
• Does your job title include manager/supervisor?
Why You Should Attend
• Practice navigating scenarios
• Build a network of manager and supervisor colleagues across campus
• Learn about resources and policies on campus that are here to support you and
• Customized for managers/supervisors at UW-Madison
Key Program Elements
• Attend classes with the same group of participants to build a network overtime
• Discuss the complexities and nuances in managing others
• Practice skills for navigating real-work scenarios
• A blended learning format - online modules and in-person classes (4-hour class
once a week for 11 weeks)
What You Will Learn in Each Class Click HERE for more information
|Affirmative Action (AA) and Equal
|Beginning Your Supervisory Journey: Building a
Healthy, Inclusive, and Engaging Work
||Building an Inclusive Workplace
||Enhancing Well-Being Through Self-Knowledge
|Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
||Managing Employee Transitions for Team Success
|Corrective Disciplinary Process
||Recruiting for High Quality Talent
||Onboarding for Employee Success
||Conflict Management for a Healthy, Inclusive,
and Engaging Environment
||Common Scenarios when Creating a Healthy,
Inclusive and Engaging Environment
||Performance Conversations for Employee
||Creating and Sustaining High Performing Teams
||Moving Forward in Creating a Healthy,
Inclusive, and Engaging Environment
These classes were designed to meet a list of competencies. To view the full list of competencies click here.
How to complete the Program and Receive a Certificate
To complete the program and receive a certificate you must complete each requirement below:
• Complete all online modules
• Attend and participate in all in-person classes
• Demonstrate competence through a final assessment
For questions regarding the program, contact Julie Kovalaske, firstname.lastname@example.org, or 608-890-0806
Click HERE to register
Frequently Asked Questions Click HERE for more information